coordinated

Ta Da. (not shown, herbs for vinaigrette)


For I think the first time ever, I have every stereotypical salad ingredient ripe in my yard AT THE SAME TIME. Salads are of course adaptable to what's in season, but I was amused by how much it reflected a horrible grocery store salad bar :)

We've been eating SO well these weeks. Fun dinners of note:
  • Eggplant Parmesan
  • Roasted veggies (tomato, zucchini, eggplant, peppers) on freshly made pasta with feta cheese
  • Leftovers from above plus fresh tomato sauce and market sausage in stuffed pizza.  Mmmmm
  • "Bistek con Rajas y Queso" a restaurant favorite done at home on the grill with homegrown poblano peppers, tomatoes and onions, and locally sourced steak and pepper jack cheese--and homemade tortillas.
  • Roasted tomato veggie soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with market bacon inside.
And the end of all this (not the good eating, just the exuberance of produce) is nigh, we have frost possible this weekend.  I went ahead and picked the last of the tomatoes yesterday in preparation for pulling vines today.   I have a few baskets of nearly ripe fruit which will keep us in tomatoes for a couple of weeks.  Plus these, which I'm stashing in the basement.  I don't do this every year, but if I have a lot of decent fruit it works pretty well.  I end up with a few more weeks of fresh tomato sauce at best, and at worst some decent early-winter treats for the chickens.




Funny how the seaons go--in 2008 I was harvesting peppers and tomatoes until October 28th--my garden journal has multiple entries that say "I think this is IT" and it just went on and on. Last year we were hit with tomato blight the last week of September, followed by a hard frost pretty soon afterward.  This year is pretty darn average.

So before this weekend we'll harvest peppers and eggplants, and I have hoops in place for my fall/winter garden, to cover as needed. Winter squash are curing and will go into storage, and then on to cleanup chores. I'm looking forward to more good meals, just a little different, for the rest of the year. 

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. I have moderation on for older posts, but as long as you're not spam I'll publish it shortly, thanks!

Powered by Blogger.