DIY grow boxes


Since I didn't maximize my fall planting in the hoop this year, I wanted to get a jump in the spring.  I'm pretty pleased with how these are turning out, so thought I'd share.


The path in my hoop house is a little wide, which was intentional both for access to the back of beds, and because I knew I'd use the space for spring propagation (And, I want to fit a lawn chair in there!).  Still, there are times of the year when I wish for a little more growing space. In addition, I have a hard time germinating cool crops like spinach and lettuce in September, which is when you need to plant for overwintering--in our area the hoop house is pushing 100 degrees that time of year, even with the ends off and the sides rolled up.   So, I had this idea to make movable grow-boxes.  They can be set in a cooler spot for fall crops, and in the late winter, started indoors.

While  you can probably make this out of pine or any scrap (untreated) wood,  I turned to my favorite cheap building material:  cedar dog-eared fence boards (see also my compost bins).  For one six foot board you can make exactly one box with no waste, that happens to fit nicely in a standard size flat.

For these, I cut three 19 inch lengths, and divided the remainder in half (about 7 1/2 inches).  Construction was very simple, just a box, but I do recommend pre-drilling if you are using screws, to avoid splits.


 For the handles I used a doorknob drill bit.  And I paired up the dog-ears to make matching ends.  There are a few holes drilled for drainage as well (the first batch I drilled in the bottom, the second pair I tried the sides, we'll see which works the best).


My only minor complaint so far is that the handle height makes them a little bit tall for putting under lights, my spinach is stretched a bit.  Still, the plan is to get them outside as soon as possible after germinating--these should go out later this week, once they have their first set of true leaves.

Alternatively, you could size these up to fit a window box liner, and you could also get fancy and make the ends tapered a bit.  I've seen thinner wood used to make standard-size reusable flats for starting plants.  I think they would make a great kids project (after the prototype, the second pair took me less than an hour start to finish).  They could also be sweet for pre-planted salad boxes to sell at a spring farmer's market, or to start forced bulbs in. 


Related Articles

7 comments:

  1. Great idea to use the cedar fence boards, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using fence boards, their price and size just lends itself to this type of thing. Our compost bins are made out of them too, and I'm thinking of a new cold frame this spring as well.

      Delete
  2. Seeing your spinach starts reminds me that spring isn't all that far away. Nice flats too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One thing I really love about the hoop house (or even just mini covered hoops) is that I get to play with seeds just a little bit earlier. Makes the slushy time of year a little more bearable.

      Delete
  3. Oh, hey, there you are! Great to see this, Sara. Nice project idea, and good reminder that I should get some seeds started. I'll be thinking spring while still hoping for more good skiing weather~ Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying that Early February is a perfect balance of winter fun and the start of spring fever. We've been trying to cram in sledding and skiing before we head into that icy freeze/thaw time though, which is less fun. Still they're talking about a big snowstorm late next week!

      Delete
  4. Your boxes are nice, indeed! I am wonderng what kind of light you are using and how long it needs to be turned on?
    Thanks, Sara!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I have moderation on for older posts, but as long as you're not spam I'll publish it shortly, thanks!

Powered by Blogger.