a good cake for seasonal eating, or not

I ran into this recipe for pear cake a couple of years ago, right about the time of year I had pears laying all over my counters. And it's pretty awesome. So now I freeze chopped pears in the fall mostly just to use in this recipe--it's a good way to use up damaged or overripe pears or a quick way to deal with too much fruit if you're tired of canning. It's also really good with rhubarb, and pretty much any fruit in season. I used our backyard eggs, homemade yogurt and local honey, so it's very adaptable for local eating too. The original source has alternate sweetener and vegan options too.



original pear cake source

Pear Cake:

2 cups flour (in this case, half AP and half WW pastry flour)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
generous 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ginger

1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1 or 2 pears chopped up (I use a cup or so of frozen chopped pears)

Combine wet and dry ingredients separately, then mix together and bake in an 8" by 8" pan for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees (or until the middle is done). I keep a tub of streusel in my freezer to throw on top of things like this, but its not required.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. I have moderation on for older posts, but as long as you're not spam I'll publish it shortly, thanks!

Powered by Blogger.