small excitement

The first of our new girls started laying eggs last week! We have one 5-ish year old hen who is still laying 3 or 4 times a week, and added 5 day old girls to boost our "flock" this spring. They just turned 20 weeks old, so are just about on schedule.

Today there was much bagawking all morning, and I figured something was up. Sure enough, a second egg appeared this afternoon! And, this one actually used the nest box, which is doubly cool (the first has been making her own improvised nests inside the coop). So far Jackie (our older hen) has not laid today, but I pulled one of her eggs for scale :) They seem really teeny, but are probably almost regular grocery-store size, maybe medium grade... I'm kind of spoiled by Jackie's extra large eggs!


















Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. I have moderation on for older posts, but as long as you're not spam I'll publish it shortly, thanks!

Powered by Blogger.