Learning as you go

The first time I saw a wasp or yellow jacket on my somewhat eaten cabbage patch, I ran to Google to find out what to do about it. Fortunately, I learned that these were not the folks eating my crop, they are beneficial insects that prey on the caterpillars that are responsible for the holes in the leaves!

yellow jacket on cabbage

I used floating row covers for my broccoli and cabbage section this spring, and I was extremely pleased with how pest-free it kept my plants. Now, however, they have outgrown their covers somewhat and the last few plants are under a bit of an attack. So, the wasps are really going to town this week! I also have new sets of brassicas starting for a fall crop, so if these get too eaten I can hopefully replace them in a few weeks.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. I have moderation on for older posts, but as long as you're not spam I'll publish it shortly, thanks!

Powered by Blogger.